These delicious savoury biscuits are wonderful for the coming festive season. A breeze to put together literally in minutes, with minimal effort but maximum flavour. Amazing with a glass of wine, but equally as good with a bowl of homemade soup or chowder. A full-flavoured Parmesan Reggiano, with its deep umami tones, is perfect for this simple recipe, or you could swap that out for a briny, sharp ewe’s milk Pecorino, a rich mellow 18 month aged Gouda or Comte, each cheese will produce fabulous results, albeit with a slightly different finish. These can be baked after an hour of chilling in the fridge or frozen in logs, ready to bake as required.
Planning is something we have been doing, it is that time of year. We are in the final stages of placing our Christmas cheese orders and have some carefully curated selections and individual cheeses for gifts for family and friends. Whether it is an exciting subscription to our Cheese Club, our Christmas Collection, or one of our gift packs or your own personal bespoke selection we have something to appeal to all tastes.
Fingers crossed, we don’t seem to be experiencing any delivery issues at present. Our couriers have assured us that they have their own in-house fuel deliveries – so we can keep those next day deliveries rolling out to your door.
Excitingly, we are in the process of a big refresh of our website – to be launched very soon.
Don’t forget that if you are in the Lincoln area to visit our shop and café to taste and sample from our cheese counter. We are in the cultural quarter of Lincoln and currently open from Wednesday to Saturday 10.00 – 4.30 pm for great cheese and cheese-centric food. We love to meet and chat to fellow cheese lovers.
Savoury Cheese Biscuits
Makes about 30 biscuits (Double or triple up the recipe as needed)
100g plain flour
100g softened butter
1 dessertspoon dry English mustard powder (optional)
Optional: A few ideas to ring the changes but just choose one!
1 teaspoon chilli flakes
1 cracked black pepper
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
1 teaspoon lightly crushed pink peppercorns
1 teaspoon lightly crushed fennel seeds
1 teaspoon crushed celery seeds
Preheat a fan assisted oven to 190C
- For speed, put all of the ingredients together with your optional extra in the bowl of a food processor and whizz until the mixture comes together in a ball.
- Knead the dough lightly until smooth and shape into a log about 1” in diameter and maybe 10” long – the bigger the diameter the fewer biscuits you get out of the recipe.
- Wrap tightly in greaseproof paper and overwrap with foil and either chill in the fridge for 1 hour or freeze for future use.
- When ready to use, cut into discs a bit thicker than a £2 coin and lay on a lined or non-stick baking tray spaced fairly well apart, as they will spread.
- Bake for between 6-10 minutes until lightly golden brown. Cool.
Do not overbake as they will taste bitter if allowed to darken. They will keep in an airtight tin for a couple of days.